This year, 2021, marks a decade of service for Friedhelm Best at process safety systems specialists, HIMA. After senior roles as sales director for Europe & Africa and managing director for France, Italy, Slovakia, and the Netherlands, he headed east in 2016 to assume the position of vice president for Asia Pacific.
While HIMA had been active in the region for a number of years, establishing offices in Australia, Korea and Malaysia, and working through sales partners in other countries, the new Asia Pacific HQ office in Singapore was established to provide a more coordinated and structured approach to building HIMA's business in the region.
In this podcast, Friedhelm Best spends some time discussing the link between digitalization and smart process safety, and explaining why, in the era of Industry 4.0, safety systems need to be just as smart as production processes.
Other aspects and topics discussed include:
- The current level of process safety awareness in Asia
- The increasing need for plants to be both safe and cybersecure
- The control and safety integration/separation debate
- How lifecycle services can best be deployed to maximize the safety profile of customer facilities
- Bringing safety systems expertise to the rail industry